History of the Company:
Twitter was founded in 2006 by Evan Williams, Noah Glass, Jack Dorsey, and Biz Stone as a way of mass sending status messages via SMS. It is currently based in San Francisco, CA and by 2014 had over 25 offices and over 3,300 employees worldwide.
Since its launch in 2006, Twitter has achieved global popularity and was pronounced one of the top 10 most visited websites in the world. By 2014, the site boasted 271 million active users who collectively sent over 500 million Tweets every day.
Twitter creates a platform for people to share and document their experiences and ideas in real time with a global audience – via photo and video, or by text containing 140 characters or less. The Tweeting medium serves as a means for individuals to speak their thoughts and tell their stories, for groups and companies to generate exposure of their products and services, and is respected by media outlets and journalists seeking sources to verify an important story.
Trading Twitter: What You Need to Know
- Twitter held its IPO on November 6, 2013 on the NYSE. It offered 70 million shares at the price of $26 per share, which valued the company at $18.3 billion.
- It opened the day after its debut at $45.10 and rose to a high of $50.09 before closing at $44.90.
- Following its 2013, Twitter reported only modest profits in 2014, while increasing its revenue 124% in just the second quarter.
- Investors continue to believe in the potential of the social media service and expect that much of its potential has yet to be unleashed.
- The company is defined often as a micro-blogging site, or social media outlet.
- Nearly all of Twitter’s revenues (85%) come from advertising on its own site.
Twitter can be used as a major advertising outlet, media source, as well as communications channel – the company’s future lies with how well it is managed and how far it can take its potential.Trade TWTR